Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Starting out in racing

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 locke-alike

locke-alike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hope it starts going well.

Whats a team? Is that your wife and a tent ?

I Must be missing a trick somewhere.

Alan
Posted Image

MAx5 race car 42 sponsored by

Bryn Hilton Motor Engineers 01457 874472
http://www.masbars.co.uk/

#42 Rob Way

Rob Way

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

HI Alan

I'm just getting frustrated, I am not far from the front just not at the front, I feel I should be.

The team was Blendini Motorsport. They run 12 cars, 10 mk1's and 2 Mk3's I was paying for the complete package. Transport, storage prep and race support.

I am going to do transport and prep myself but find an alternative for race support.

I spoke to Will Chappel on Sat sounds like he was having fun until the gearbox went, Shows the competitiveness of our championship as he is usually running around 6th in ours.

Rob

#43 locke-alike

locke-alike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

Ma5da is more competitive, but Max5 is entry level really.

Low costs ,low hassle, fun motorsport.

Alan
Posted Image

#44 Rob Way

Rob Way

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Ma5da is more competitive, but Max5 is entry level really.

Low costs ,low hassle, fun motorsport.

Alan

Sorry that came out totally wrong, Posted Image

I must say Will really enjoyed his time with you guys.

#45 locke-alike

locke-alike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

No it's not wrong, I didn' see it as a slur.

From your post earlier

"Race 3 was better and was battling with my team mate for most of the race, but couldn't make up any places without damaging the car. "

If you want 10 /10th racing the Your in the right series.

If like me you cant afford damage(and yes accidents happen) and are willing to show a little respect then MAX5 is good

Ive seen the 2 front runners stop fighting each other just so they can get around a back marker cleanly , No Bump Draughting , No nudging and No leaning on the other cars in the corner.

Does this make them as quick as others...Nah probbally not.

Do we go home and check alignment after every race No...I bearly get passed checking the oil ,water and tyre pressures...I never changed the damper setting for 12 months !!

Ma5da is more serious, Max5 is more relaxed..the tagline "taking fun seriously" say it all

Ma5da attracts more competitive drivers and the associated cost involved in that, Max5 attracts those that cant be bothered with the hassle or the cost.

But in the end you pay you money and you take your choice. I do it because i Enjoy it..not to be a front runner

Good luck with the new team and heres to "happier" results for the effort you have put in.

Alan
Posted Image

#46 Ollie_247

Ollie_247

Captain Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Nice update Rob,

It seems Mr Boston is running a good ship this year.

added you you twitter ill let you guess my twitter name :lol:

O and Alan you being to hard on max5.

Ps car set up is massive part alan, i learn this with just running a track day car :lol:

#47 Rob Way

Rob Way

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hi Guys.

Well change of plan going to be running the car myself now for the rest of the season. This is in no way a reflection on Rob Boston just that I really want to prove that I can do it myself (to myself mostly) Posted Image

Anyhoo, so car prep is well under way, wiring has been tidied up and all the little problems fixed. Now I am not going to go into too much detail but I have been less than impressed with the standard/general care of work from my previous team.

Funnily enough my "out of control" nightmares have stopped. Which must be a good sign. Posted Image

So first change is new springs, these have arrived today. I'm going to have to guess a bit for setup, ride height etc but i have a pretty good idea. The brake bias valve is still not installed but I have another plan on that one. I will keep you posted.

I am trying to test prior to Combe next weekend but I just cannot get the time off. Not ideal but no change to previous weekends.

So proof will be in Qualifying if I have picked the right spring rates and gotten the set up right.

Watch this space.

Oh and you can follow my progress on Facebook and twitter search WaywardMS stands for Wayward Motorsport and yes that name is deliberate, you will realise this when I finally post up a vid Posted Image

Rob

#48 Ollie_247

Ollie_247

Captain Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Good luck Rob, hope to see you at another test day some time / might see if i can jump in you passagers seat at some point as well :D

#49 Rob Way

Rob Way

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

I've been a bit quiet......

Season ended with a broken engine and gearbox at Croft, was a long way to go for that to happen.

So thoughts turn to 2013 and it doesn't look good. Changing jobs and moving is making racing unlikely. So the plan well. The car stays. And plans are afoot for 2014, planning early.

So the car, rear suspension is being changed, i'm going to use some different springs that are allowed just and will transform the handling. Basically moving to the same style springs as on the front that will give a more consistent spring rate over the entire travel. This involved some small mods to the upper spring seats.

The shocks need a rebuild, this will happen when the 2014 regs are confirmed. I am also already talking to potential sponsors....

Now for you lot.....the car is available for hire on trackdays or Racing. PM for details.

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users