Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

What fuel/brake SS hose?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 saalro

saalro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

I'm going to be removing the hard brake and fuel lines inside the car for hose as i'm having it caged and it's in the way.

What hose is best for fuel and brake lines, you can get rubber or teflon with steel braid, but what one is best for a fuel and brake system.

I was even thinking of just running rubber fuel lines without braid, and then good braided line for the brake to prevent for expansion.

Is good braided line going to be better than copper?

Anyone know where to get good hose from?

Thanks
Sam

#2 Blackadder

Blackadder

Professor of Cunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, West London

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Rubber fuel lines will surely split too easily ?
Dan

Traction control???? Wash your mouth out with soap!!!!

#3 saalro

saalro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Same meterial as flexi hoses, no reason they would unless involved in a crash or something.
But i can't have rubber lines as MSA regs state fuel lines inside the vehicle have to be protected with steel braid.

Pirtek seem to sell some braided that are good for fuel and made from teflon, but i want to know more before i decided about both.

Thanks
Sam

#4 Iain

Iain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationIOM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Earls performance do the proper hose for all these applications from -3 to -8 i think.

Also, copper pipe is not very good, better off using kunifer pipe.
There will be no highlights on the eleven o'clock news and no pictures of hairy armed women
liberationists and Jackie Onassis blowing her nose. The theme song will not be written by Jim Webb,
Francis Scott Key, nor sung by Glen Campbell, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash, Englebert Humperdink, or the Rare Earth.
The revolution will not be televised.

#5 saalro

saalro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the help but £25+ for a meter of braided hosing, i don't beleive even Goodridge charge that much, i'll have to find out though.

Thanks
Sam

#6 Iain

Iain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationIOM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

Venhill do it for about £8 per meter for -3
There will be no highlights on the eleven o'clock news and no pictures of hairy armed women
liberationists and Jackie Onassis blowing her nose. The theme song will not be written by Jim Webb,
Francis Scott Key, nor sung by Glen Campbell, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash, Englebert Humperdink, or the Rare Earth.

#7 Blackadder

Blackadder

Professor of Cunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

Let me speak to Doug if you want, he can get it made up for cheap and he only uses good quality dude.

How much you actually need ?
Dan

#8 Simonlpearce

Simonlpearce

The Finest White E36 Coupe on TC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

I looked into this recently for braking in particular, but was told braided hose would be more flexible/spongy than solid copper/other? I thought this has to be BS as most race cars i know use braided so the degree of songyness has to be minimal???

#9 saalro

saalro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

20 - 25 meters i think Dan lol.

Yeah i thought this also, surely it can't be as good as copper or other hard line, but loads of race cars use it.

Thanks
Sam

#10 Blackadder

Blackadder

Professor of Cunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

That alot ???? Swear I got just over 2 for my fuel lines lol.
Dan

#11 Simonlpearce

Simonlpearce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Dont you also need an industrial swaging machine for braided lines so the unions can be fitted properly?

#12 Blackadder

Blackadder

Professor of Cunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hard lines are good if not moved. At all. Plus they are cheaper I heard.

Braided is better. Properly braided that is.

Unions ?
Dan

#13 Simonlpearce

Simonlpearce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

Unions ?

Are they not the bits on the end of the hose??? Maybe im getting confused, its Friday after all and my brain did stop working at 5pm yesterday.<div><br></div><div>Edit : A quick google search would just suggest they are just called hose ends! Unions are what's used on solid pipes.

</div>

#14 saalro

saalro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

Doing some research quite a few companies provide end fitments, such are Goodridge and Think Automotive Ltd, and you can fit them your self, as for cutting briaded hose a good tool is ideal but you can use a hacksaw.

Also you can not use worm drive type clips on the teflon briaded hose, you need to use special olive tyre ends.

I've been told that the Goodridge 600 series briaded hose wont get expansion, so i would imagine good quality hose won't also.

Thanks
Sam

#15 Blackadder

Blackadder

Professor of Cunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Cutting, just stick masking tape over it and get the circular saw out. Takes couple of seconds lol.
Dan

#16 saalro

saalro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Or that haha.

Thanks
Sam

#17 Iain

Iain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationIOM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs or anything but if your going to fit flex lines and you are not mounting to hardline make sure you use a swivel fitting on one end of the flex line, its a complete ball ache otherwise.

#18 Simonlpearce

Simonlpearce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs or anything but if your going to fit flex lines and you are not mounting to hardline make sure you use a swivel fitting on one end of the flex line, its a complete ball ache otherwise.

It took me a second or 2 to figure out what you were on about then (it is early), but yes i see how this completely makes sense!

#19 Iain

Iain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationIOM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

It took me a second or 2 to figure out what you were on about then (it is early), but yes i see how this completely makes sense!

I accidentally made up a hos with two solid fittings at the weekend to go from a bias adjuster to a T piece, it was a complete nause, and i am still not happy with it now. Its fine if you are attaching to a union as the union will rotate.

#20 Simonlpearce

Simonlpearce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

I accidentally made up a hos with two solid fittings at the weekend to go from a bias adjuster to a T piece, it was a complete nause, and i am still not happy with it now. Its fine if you are attaching to a union as the union will rotate.

Can i ask what you use to connect the hose ends? I thought some kind of industrial press was required in order to get a seal that will not fail under pressure???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users