Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

race car build for hire

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

we are looking to build a couple of race cars to hire out, looking for suggestions for some cars to use?
needs to be a cheap base car of up to 3-4k, easy to get parts for, reliable, competitive and eligible for as many race series as possible

i have been thinking civic type r, pug 106,205,306 gti, clio 172/182, e36 bmw (which engine) mx5, mr2 etc

many thanks
nick

#2 Russell

Russell

• Moderators
  • 487 posts
  • LocationThe Great North

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Not that I'm biased but Mk3 MR2. Buy an early one, put in a 190hp 2ZZ-GE engine and you have a quick car.

#3 Blackadder

Blackadder

Professor of Cunning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, West London

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

MX5 and 172/182 Personally.
Dan

Traction control???? Wash your mouth out with soap!!!!

#4 Simonlpearce

Simonlpearce

The Finest White E36 Coupe on TC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

E36 M3 either S50B30 or S50B32 Posted Image

#5 Ollie_247

Ollie_247

Captain Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Glad you put this on here as well.

to be fair if you can get a crashed damged or cheap mrk 3 mx5 I would go with that :D

#6 Jonty

Jonty

Has plans...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

I would add to the criteria a series where the racing is more gentlemanly- the Mk1 MR2 racers seem to have a lot of contact, the mk3/SuperGT cars not, the mk1 MX5s more contact, the mk3s not... a bit of rubbing is ok, but ideally a car you only need to clean and perform routine checks and replacements will be best for effort/profit ratio.

There are shed loads of suitable cars, but I would probably think something like a Civic would be good as there are lots of good bolt on options that you can fit for reasonable power increases as well as suspension upgrades and with your fabrication skills you can sort the shell to a high level that people will be happy to pay a price to hire that earns you a few quid, without being so steep that you don't get many bookings.

in fact, thinking whilst I type and have more of a look at it, I rockon the VW racing cup could also be a strong contender- 200bhp from a 1.8T dropped into a late model polo or similar that you can buy as cat C damaged may give you a good competitive car. With that engine you have the option of increasing the boost and adding ballast for places like Thruxton, or pulling weight to a complete minimum for Cadwell etc- that gives another tuning option aside from the normal suspension and tyre setup that could help your customers get better results, and therefore you a fuller order book.

#7 Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

thanks for the input guys, all interesting stuff. i certainly feel it could be a good buisness avenue to pursue as long as i build the right car. we will be hiring out the cars, but we have already sorted out instruction/race support etc from a guy already in the buisness. so it would be an arrive and drive package. we would also hire the car out for track days/instruction. so i feel we could have the cars hired out quite regularly. some people are happy to pay £300 for 3 slow laps with some of these experience companys, i think thats pretty mad, when considering you could hire out a car and use for a full day, on a proper circuit, with full instruction etc and actually learn something, and the experience last long enough to actually enjoy! and these option would be cheaper than the race days with support.

more research is required on car choice and race series choice, but as said, a series where people arnt barging each other out the way would be a bonus to save body repairs every week!

#8 Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

jonty on your suggestion of vw racing, i actually found a very cheap seat leon cupra for sale 5 miles from me very cheap. this already has the 180bhp 1.8 20v turbo engine, and the leon has been proved as a decent racing car as the leon cup used to be the feeding series for btcc! im not sure if they qualify for vag group races. but could be an option.

i think a well prepped impreza/evo could be a good choice for a track day hire car. fully stripped with dedicated track setup they can be extremely quick circuit cars, easily tuned, and 4wd and very easy to drive, and hard to crash lol. could give people a good idea of a fast track car experience. and wont cost the earth to build.

#9 Jonty

Jonty

Has plans...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

yes a leon could also prove to be a good race car, I think the hard to crash thing is also worth thinking about fwd or 4wd is probably best for that. There must be a race series for seats, just go and have a good dig around for it- I've seen some nice looking cars when searching for the Clio Cup michelin slicks believe it or not!

#10 Zmaster2k

Zmaster2k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationDeepest Darkest Dorset

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

my clio knowledge,

the mk1 is very cheap to buy has some mindblowing handling when coupled with williams widetrack, although this can be done with R19 wishbones and 172 driveshaftes, and a good suspension setup. But i suppose the Mk2 shell is alright (im a mk2 hater! lol)

engine wise, the F4R from the newer Renault sport clio can be bought on the cheap and slots straight in 1 custom down pipe and it mates to the stock system.

combine the engine with DTH Throttle Bodies from Ktec racing, and your looking at a 220bhp car that weighs in at 790kgs.

Alternatively the F4RT (yes thats the actual code!) from the newer megane internals will fit into the clio f4r block and you then have a base for a 400bhp turbo charged engine.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users